Tenneco Dual Mode Damper: Active selection of comfort or sport ride
Dual Mode Damper technology provides an enhanced ride experience at a minimal system cost for the small and midsized vehicle segment. A button on the dashboard allows the driver to select between two damper settings – comfort or sport – letting drivers choose the type of ride they wish to experience. It is available in both internal and external valve technologies.
- Cars in all segments but with particular focus on B&C segments.
- Enhanced ride experience at the click of a button
- Adjusts to road conditions for maximum comfort or higher level of safety
Continuously Variable Semi Active/CES: Continuous damping adjustment to provide pure driving pleasure on safe mode
Now primarily targeted at executive car segments (C, D, E), semi-active damping has the potential to become all car segments’ favourite. It is a system that continuously adjusts damping levels according to road conditions and vehicle dynamics. Hence at any speed, cornering or turning situation maximum comfort is delivered without sacrificing the safety.
Semi active damping is controlled by an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) which receives information (acceleration, displacement, steering, breaking, speed) from sensors at key locations on the vehicle to make independent adjustments to each shock absorber valve. With semi active damping, Tenneco demonstrate it has the technology and expertise to bring computer controlled suspension to a larger market.
Semi active damping comes in 2 versions:
- CES (continuously controlled electronic suspension), with an external valve, suitable for double tubes,
- CVSA, with an internal valve, suitable for both mono- and double tubes.
- Cars in all segments, with particular focus on C, D&E segments.
- Already available on: Audi (Q3), Ford (S-Max, Galaxy, Mondeo), BMW (X3), Mercedes-Benz (C-Class, E-Class, E-Class AMG), Volkswagen (Golf, Scirocco, Passat, Passat CC,Eos, Tiguan, Sharan), Volvo (S60, V70, XC60, XC70, S80)
- Improved primary ride motions through independent control of the vehicle body movements – heave, pitch and roll
- Improved safety and security on rough or uneven road surfaces
- Enhanced car handling
- Full system support:, control systems, algorithm, Noise, Vibration, Harshness (NVH), suspension module
- Light weight
- Reduced packaging
Kinetic® H2: A passive hydraulic anti-roll system that delivers the best compromise between handling, comfort and tyre grip in its category
Kinetic® suspension systems use technology that improves vehicle stability, handling and ride comfort and helps reduce the risk of vehicle-roll-over. The Kinetic suspension technology can be adapted to the commercial vehicle market segment. This cost-effective passive system enhances vehicle stability by reducing vehicle roll while maintaining a comfortable ride.
- Passenger cars
- Light commercial vehicles
- Reduced weight thanks to aluminium design and the absence of roll bars
- Integrates the stiffness mode decoupling of a Kinetic system
- Provides superior body control and wheel hop control
- Increases roll stiffness without impacting comfort
Kinetic® H2 CES semi-active suspension with anti-roll system: Intelligent electronics for the best performing semi-active suspension
This integrated architecture combines semi-active / CES damper valves with a passive Kinetic® H2 system to create an intelligent damping system that offers all the advantages of a semi-active system and achieves significantly improved on road traction and vehicle performance. Both front and rear anti roll bars are removed and lightweight features incorporated to make it a system of choice to reduce the environmental impact of vehicles.
The development of this state-of-the-art technology in close partnership with a European sports car manufacturer illustrates Tenneco’s high level of commitment to the highest quality at all levels – from project management to engineering development and to the production line. First installed on a European sports car in 2010, the system was well received on the market, has had good review and is currently under development with different OEMs for passenger cars.
Executive passenger cars, SUVs and sports cars.
- Delivers the best performance of tyre grip and comfort with weight efficiency and cost efficiency
- Better grip when the driver brakes and increased safety on the road
- Lightweight aluminium design and no power consumption
ACOCAR™ actively controlled car
The all-in-one next generation fully-active system: ride comfort and control with lightweight and reduced energy consumption
A lightweight, fully active, low power consumption suspension system that provides ultimate comfort combined with excellent handling. Equipped with electronic CES valves and electro-hydraulic power packs that constantly circulate oil through the shock absorber, the system controls roll, pitch and heave, keeping the car body flat and improving tire to road contact. It can come with or without an energy recuperation system.
Planned for industrialisation in 2015, the system is currently under development with OEMs to adapt to their individual needs. Tenneco is already looking at the next development – a camera-based ACOCAR™ system able to anticipate the road conditions and adjust automatically.
Target vehicle segment
The next generation of high end range vehicles, powered by conventional, hybrid or electric engines.
- Breaks the traditional compromise between comfort and handling performance
- Reduced weight thanks to an aluminium design and the absence of roll bars
- Low power consumption (+/- 100w on normal roads) that enables “Eco” driving mode with virtually no power consumption
Tenneco addresses environmental objectives with a lightweight technology strategy to improve fuel economy and reduce CO2 emissions.
Fuel consumption and CO2 emission reduction are essential to all new car designs and these can be directly impacted by reducing the weight of a vehicle. Tenneco’s lightweight technology provides a means to this goal and focuses on two key areas – size reduction and material substitution.
Lightweight technology for passenger cars and light commercial vehicles
Size reduction has been possible through use of adapted valve systems, optimized internal components and new tube forming techniques that provide structural integrity without cost penalty.
Lightweight technology uses new material such as plastic spring seat, hollow rod, aluminium, tube with variable wall thickness and composite material. For strut applications normal steel has been replaced by high strength steel with plastics used for add-on and modular components. These changes have achieved up to 30% weight reductions within market defined cost targets and without sacrificing strength, resistance or functionality.
Tenneco has developed concepts and expertise in some of the technological challenges to achieve these innovative developments, making advances in surface treatments, tube forming and material joining processes.
Lightweight technology for motorbikes
For forks, the focus is on aluminium stanchion tube, rebound and compression external adjuster, spring pre-load internal adjuster, magnesium caps and drop-outs as well as titanium springs.
For shocks, the focus is on magnesium components, carbon fibre reservoir, titanium spring, double compression adjustment, high and low speed, rebound adjustment, total length adjustable and hydraulic spring pre-load adjustment.